Everythings Turning Into Beautiful

I love theater and usually there’s nothing I’m allergic to there.

[Except for the time at the Metropolitan Opera when I was placed in the seat usually reserved for the blind person and their Seeing Eye dog! My eyes and lungs were itching throughout Turandot and I couldn’t figure out why. When the lights came up at the first intermission, I saw I was covered in light blond doggie hair! Nich gut. I was quickly reseated even closer to the action and allergies be-gone.]

I saw Everythings [sic] Turning into Beautiful last night. Anyone who has asked me to describe borderline personality disorder could see this show for the embodiment of that disorder.

Act I is the seduction and Act II is the relationship negotiation between Sam and Brenda, a singer/songwriting duo. Malik Yoba’s Sam is an adorable, messed up, twice divorced father of two who’s completely in love with his singing partner Brenda. Daphne Rubin-Vega's Brenda is a less adorable, [it looked like she had some work done lately as her face was scarily expressionless, not good for a stage actress] never-been-married singer who has some serious BPD.

Sam’s intentions are more focused; Brenda’s intentions are scattered as are her actions which make her an annoying character to watch. The ladies next to me were muttering throughout Act II about "crazy Brenda and poor Sam". I couldn't agree more and it made for somewhat annoying theater. [Theater of the Annoying, could that be a new trend?]

I wouldn’t run out and see this show at full price, but for a half-price ticket, it was enjoyable because of Malik Yoba's performance. He plays his character with strength and vulnerability; he uses his physicality beautifully and is totally believable. And he's tall and hunky--Yummy combo.

Here's mini NYT review: ‘EVERYTHINGS TURNING INTO BEAUTIFUL’ Seth Zvi Rosenfeld’s thrill-free demi-musical about a pair of commitment-wary songwriters (Daphne Rubin Vega and Malik Yoba) is clearly intended to progress from wintry loneliness to heated confrontation and eroticism. But it remains stolidly at room temperature. Directed by Carl Forsman, with songs by Jimmie James. (1:50). Acorn Theater, 410 42nd Street, Clinton, (212) 279-4200. (Brantley)

Comments

Popular Posts