Welcome!

Welcome to my blogspot and thank you for looking around.

PLEASE DON'T PASS THE NUTS™ and Allergic Girl™ will chronicle my challenging experiences as both allergic to food and a serious foodie.

Dinning out for someone with food allergies or intolerances [more on the differences later] can be like an episode of EXTREME EATING, if that existed. [Although, Anthony Bourdain's show NO RESERVATIONS on the Travel Channel comes close].

I eat dinner out at least 5 times a week, more if you include lunches--and each time I have the same exact discussion with my servers: "If this food has any [insert allergen here] I will die. I will need to go the hospital and you will have to come with me." Invariably, at least 2 times out of 5 the dish STILL has to be sent back.

[Perhaps at this point, you're wondering, "If she's so allergic why does she eat out?" My answer is because I love food, food history, the whole dining experience and innovative cuisine. Living in a great foodie city like New York affords me the luxury and the opportunity to be at the forefront of FOOD.]

Despite a few setbacks and some disgruntled waitstaff, there are many restos in NYC that understand food allergies and I'm constantly discovering more. PLEASE DON'T PASS THE NUTS will be my blog about eating out at the best new restaurants around town: which are helpful, which would like to kill me [or anyone else with allergies]; which to applaud, which to avoid. It will also include foodie articles, reviews of new allergen-free foods [I'm constantly trying something new to expand my limited diet], links to food companies that offer safe foods and much more.

If you have food allergies, or know and love someone that does, I hope you find my blog helpful!

Happy and healthy eating!



Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this this! I'm gonna read you every day! Well, when I remember that is.

What an absolutely fantastic idea!
WannabeMe said…
You're braver than I am. I've gotten sooooo afraid to eat out. But I miss eating out - we used to eat out almost everyday. Maybe I'll brave it again someday - maybe your blog will inspire me to!
I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog!!! As the mother of two boys, one of whom is seriously allergic to treenuts, peanuts and shellfish, I am going to be a regular reader. Just last night we were watching "Bizarre Foods", and my highly-allergic 7-year-old wants to travel the world and try stuff--as long as it's not full of nuts or shellfish. I worry about his ability to feel UNparanoid and yet very aware and informed as he grows up in this world. I'm lucky. I don't have any food allergies. (I have other issues. Ha!) But Sean, my son, is a trooper. After two very awful experiences of anaphylactic shock, he's very aware how sick some foods can make him--and how he must tolerate that nasty needle on his epi if he wants to live.

Thank you so much for psting this blog. Any info you find, I'll be sure to eat up (no pun intended). As it is, I bake EVERYTHING. I found your site while scoping out nut-free bakeries for wedding cakes, as I'm getting (re)married this March. It was a long shot. Looks like we'll be making our own from Cherrybrook mixes. I won't complain and neither will Sean. They're our favorite.

Best,
Moira
Sharon Rosen said…
Thank you for your blog! I have been reading through it non-stop for about an hour. I'm new to the adult-with-food-allergy world and feel like I've found a wonderful resource, and am so happy to find an adult voice. Thank you for doing what you do!

I look forward to reading more in the future.

Sincerely,
Sharon
Unknown said…
Allergic Girl,

Did you ever go to pizza picazzo there is a great gluten free menu. the pizza doesn't even taste gluten free!

Stephanie

Popular Posts