Bob's Red Mill

Gluten-free but not nut-free; nut-free but not gluten-free. This has become the challenge for me of late.

For example, Bob's Red Mill--they mill all kinds of great stuff: flours, seeds, grains and organics and they have tons of products and recipes. This thrills the GF Gal in me. However, I see they also use and process nuts and nut flours. So I sent in a friendly “what’s the deal?” email. I love product help lines, I use them all the time.

(allergicgirl@gmail.com) on Monday, November 20, 2006 at 17:13:44

Q: are you tree-nut free or can tell me more about your products as they relate to tree nuts? id love to use your GF line but am concerned about cross contamination. thank you.


Here was their reply and those of you who are Nut-Free the news isn’t good:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Our Products are manufactured in a facility that also uses tree nuts and soy. We no longer manufacture peanuts in our facility at all, but there is a chance of cross contact. We do clean the mills thoroughly between grinding. I hope this helps and thank you for your interest in Bob's Red Mill products.

Happy Holidays,

Janelle
Customer Service
Bob's Red Mill


The above email vague and confusing, so I sent a follow-up that received no reply at all. Sigh. So I shan’t be using Bob’s great stuff anytime soon unless this policy changes or a clarification is made.

Comments

Here is my response from Bob's Redmill regarding there gluten free flours:
Currently, there are no wheat, rye, barley, egg, milk or peanut products being produced in our Gluten Free facility. All of our products produced in this facility will have a Gluten Free symbol on it. We did have a product which contained peanuts, but this was discontinued at the end of 2005. If you have a product produced before 2006, there may be a chance of cross contact. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Chelsea- Customer Service
Bob's Red Mill Natural Foods
1-800-349-2173


I did not specifically ask about tree nuts and I only inquired about the gluten free flours, but if you find out that tree nuts are an issue, please let me know. We have not tested tree nuts, but are avoiding to be on the safe side and because of peanut cross contamination issues. This whole cross contamination thing is driving me crazy!

Popular Posts