Food Allergy Counseling

Food Allergy Counseling
Sloane Miller, Food Allergy Counselor (Picture © Noel Malcolm 2013)

Friday, November 10, 2006

Pipa

Tried to go to Boqueria last night. Sigh. Should have known that the recent great review in the Times could have made Thursday night a madhouse.

So still in the mood for something tapas-y, we ambled over to Pipa in the ABC store. The place was packed but there we two seats at the bar that had our names on it.

I hadn’t been back to Pipa in at least a year. Last time was with my dear friend Alonso and his family who were visiting from Mexico. There was live music and a table of shared food, all except me of course. I remember that this troubled Alonso’s father greatly; that I wasn’t eating enough or couldn’t have the seafood paella, or pretty much anything else fishy they ordered. I just kept getting plates of tortilla espanola. Allergies seemed to be a difficult concept that didn’t translate so well in Spanish; of course, sometimes I doesn’t translate so well in English either.

So fast forward a year later, and I figured that since the tortilla hadn’t killed me that time, I’d be okay last night with one exception: the place was loud and I was eating at the bar, which means no intimate conversation with the waitstaff to tell them how not to kill me.

So I was forced to do a sexy leaning thing over the great stone expanse of the bar. I’m sure that’s what got me a free glass of wine. I whispered sweet allergen-free nothings to our incredibly sexy bartender and over the din he seemed to get the point: no nuts, no fish or I will get very sick.

The dishes that arrived were yummy: a very simple organic potato soup and a freshly made tortilla. Upon reflection, i.e. once my two dishes arrived, I realized I over potatoe-d. But everything was tasty, the bar was hopping and the wall streeters next to us were buying us bottles of Dom Perignon so I can’t complain.

If I wanted a full, fabulous completely allergen-free meal, I wouldn’t run to any tapas joint—fish is a heavy component of that area’s cuisine. However, for a really fun evening, I’d head back to Pipa.

No comments: