White Bean and Collard Greens Soup




Intimidated by collard greens? Don’t be. This soup is so quick and easy and cutting the collards into delicate ribbons tenderizes them into luscious strands of greeny goodness. I adapted this recipe from Fat-Free Vegan. Go, play.


Ingredients
• 1 to 1 1/2 pounds collards, tough ribs removed and ribboned
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 rib celery, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 carrots, chopped
• 32 ounces chicken broth (I use organic Swanson's)
• 1 teaspoon thyme [omitted]
• 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained (I used cannellini beans)
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano [omitted]
• 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder [omitted]
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes [omitted]
• salt and freshly ground red pepper, to taste
• Parmesan (optional)


In olive oil, I sauteed the onions until translucent, added the garlic for a few moments then stirred in carrots and celery until soft. Then, I added the ribbons of collards until bright green. Then, I added the beans and stock, brought to a boil, then simmered for approximately 20 minutes until the flavors melded. Adjust seasons and serve!

Comments

Popular Posts