Sweet Noodle Kugel

Kugel fresh from the oven, cooling on my window sill

For Thanksgiving, this year I had two guests who I know die for my sweet noodle kugel. They wait all year for Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year to have it. In a stroke of brilliance, while creating my Thanksgiving day menu, I thought, wait I can serve this at Thanksgiving, too!

The recipe is nut-free and fish-free my two main allergy concerns and so easy it’s ridic. I use organic where I can, mainly with the eggs, butter and diary. I also make a lightly lighter version by using yogurt instead of sour cream and 2% milk instead of whole milk.

NB: I have tried a gluten-free, lower lactose version and it was okay, not fab so I need to keep playing with the recipe. You can find my attempts here. So basically, I can't eat this version as I'm wheat and dairy intolerant but for my guests I was happy to prepare this!

Sweet Noodle Kugel
adapted from Bon Appétit and further adapted by me

8 ounces Manichewitz wide egg noodles 
Generous handful dark raisins
5 large organic eggs
1 cup Greek 0% fat yogurt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted organic butter, melted, cooled
1/3 cup sugar in the raw
4 cups 2% milk

3 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
 plus 1/4 cup 
sugar in the raw



Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread uncooked noodles over bottom of prepared dish and sprinkle with raisins. Whisk eggs, yogurt, butter and sugar in large bowl until smooth. Whisk in milk and pour mixture over noodles. Leave room for the cornflakes! Let kugel stand 5 minutes.

Mix cornflakes and


Mix cornflakes and
sugar in the raw

 in bowl and crunch up flakes by hand. Sprinkle evenly over kugel.

Bake kugel until set in center, about 1 hour. Cut kugel into squares. Serve warm or at room temperature. I cut into 16 squares so serves about 8 to 10.



Comments

Popular Posts