Udis Gluten Free, Product Reviews

I met with the Udi’s Gluten Free team at Expo East in September 2012, and they had some new products there that I hadn’t seen yet in my local supermarkets; those products are there now. Mainly, French bread and French dinner rolls and their pizzas. They sent me samples to try.

The great: the breads.  Crunchy and crusty on the outside, soft and bread-like on the inside, when these babies are warmed up in the oven it’s almost like eating real bread, at least my memories of it. These two products are a total win.

The really less great: the pizzas. Udi’s Gluten Free has a flattened bread product they call a pizza crust. It’s more like a slightly puffed tortilla and hardens unpleasantly when baked. Sadly, the Udi’s Gluten Free pizzas are simply frozen toppings on that crust which equals something wholly unappetizing and completely unpizza-like. The three pizzas I tried were a total non-win, toppings awful, and "crust" hardened cracker-like substances, tasteless and pretty awful.

 Udi’s Gluten Free: please consdier some more R&D i.e. going back to the drawing board and  creating a yeasty, fluffy, bread-y crust first and then rethinking the flavor profiles of the toppings.

Meanwhile, for your dear readers, I’d stick with the Udi’s Gluten Free white breads, what I think they do best.

***



Any further questions about their gluten-free status or food allergy policy, please reach out to them directly: http://udisglutenfree.com/contact-us/

NB: I’m wheat intolerant, not allergic nor celiac; I have been wheat free since 2005 here are some reliable links to the differences between food allergies and food intolerance from AAAAI, WebMD and the NIH.

Comments

Unknown said…
Just had Udi's bread this morning. I keep it frozen and give it a light toast on my convection toaster oven, then dab on some buttery spread. It's actually quite good. In fact I forgot I was eating gluten free bread! :) It's the only one of their products I've tried but I look fwd to trying out others.

Popular Posts