Easy Black Beans and Rice

Even though I have a small New York City kitchen (you can see it here in this video I did with Boar’s Head), I always have a fully stocked pantry and refrigerator. So, when I came home last night for a cozy night in with no recent grocery shopping, I went into my trusty pantry and within 20 minutes we were sitting down to this dish:


Vegan, food allergy free: beans and rice with broccoli

Classic Black Beans & Rice
(Adapted from a can of Goya Frijoles Negros)

2 T  olive oil (I use Spectrum organic olive oil)
½ cup onion chopped
1 small bell pepper chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 15.5 ounce can black beans, undrained
¾ cup water
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 t dried oregano
1 t dried cumin powder
red pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in onions, pepper garlic and sauté until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer for about ten minutes until flavors have melded.

Serve with steamed organic brown rice (or millet, quinoa or grain of your choice), steamed greens, (like spinach, broccoli, or kale) and even some cheese (or dairy-free cheese substitute like Daiya) would be welcome here.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts