Food Allergy Coach: Having a Life with Food Allergies

My motto is: Just because you have a restricted diet, doesn't mean you have a restricted life.

What this means to me is: even though someone with severe food allergies can’t eat certain foods, it doesn’t have to limit how they can live life to the fullest, however they define that where they are right now.

I counsel my food allergy coaching clients to help them see the wholeness of their lives where they are right now (or where they'd like to be in the near future). I also guide clients to find their "Yes, and...".  A "yes, and..." statement might be: “Yes, I have food allergies. And I also love running and traveling to exotic locations; I adore eating fresh papaya; I lovingly care for my aging aunt; I volunteer as a Big Sister; I practice Jujitsu…” (You get the idea.)

For me, one aspect of "Just because you have a restricted diet, doesn't mean you have a restricted life" means engaging in all kinds of non-food focused activities like art – the process of creating it as well as being a consumer of it. So, in this space and on Facebook or Twitter, or Google+ , I may mention a show, a movie, a play, an art show that I found interesting, thought provoking and/or moving.  In the last two weeks, I saw and enjoyed the following here in New York City, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art - Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity; at the The Museum of the City of New York - Stephen Burrows, When Fashion Danced; at The Rubin Museum - Brainwave series with Zakir Hussain, Tabla and Seth Horowitz, PhD.


***

How do you have a life with food allergies?

Comments

Popular Posts