Recipe: Burger Salad

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while you know my taste in food: clean, easy, delicious, using whole foods and seasonably available ingredients, few processed things and just plain yum. This is less of a recipe and more of a riff on a dish I had several years back and burger restaurant off of University Place now closed, called The Stand. They made a burger salad: three little slider burgers on top of a big bowl of salad dressed with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and parmesan. Immediately I knew this was my new jam! Food allergy free for me and so easy, why did I think of it? I created my own version and added it into my monthly meal rotation. A favorite with friends and family too, it’s ridic easy and top eight allergen free (if you don’t use the parmesan cheese)!




In the picture above, I made a turkey version, using ground turkey dark meat (way more flavor packed), got a great Maillard on it (that’s the crusty meaty part) and served with fresh bi-color corn. 

***

Recipe: Burger Salad for One

Ingredients:
Romaine lettuce -  washed and chopped
1/4 pound of freshly ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef - use your fave)
Freshly squeezed lemon juice 
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Parmesan cheese (optional)
Serve with fresh steamed veggies (like corn, broccoli, spinach - anything you like but definitely round out the meal with some extra beautiful veggies)

Assemble your salad first in a nice big bowl that you will also use for serving: use fresh lettuce, seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon juice and a little bit of olive oil. 

Next cook up your burger. Make sure to season your burger with salt and pepper, don’t skip this step and cook on high heat with plenty of oil. 

I use the diner-style technique for these burgers outline by the New York Times here and here.

Serve the burger over the salad while the burger is sizzling hot. I drizzle some of the cooking fat over the salad. Trust me, it’s divine. 

Serve, enjoy, repeat.

Comments

Popular Posts