Recipe: Cinnamon Swirl Iced Spiced Loaf, Nut-Free, Gluten-Free

A little slice of cinnamon swirl iced spice cake heaven


This weekend I got it into my head that I wanted something cinnamon swirled. I realized I had a few boxes of Namaste Foods spice cake mix in my cupboard and that would be an easy, allergen-free base. (I buy Namaste Foods spice cake mixes by the half dozen come fall, for occasions such as these.) I did a quick survey of cinnamon swirled recipes on Google and came up with this recipe below, adapted from Gluten-Free On a Shoestring.

I served some to my musical improv teammates and they went ga-ga over it: “It’s so moist. So delicious. How did you do this?” And none of them are food allergy free. It's that good. 

This recipe is easy (slightly genius) and it’s quickly become a new classic in my home. I hope it will in yours, too!


***

A vein of cinnamon-sugar. Oh my!


Cinnamon Swirl Iced Spiced Loaf, Nut-Free, Gluten-Free
Recipe adapted from Gluten-Free On a Shoestring


For the cake batter:
One box of Namaste Foods spice cake mix 
Make according to the directions

For the cinnamon-sugar mixture:
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use sugar in the raw)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

For the glaze:
1 cup Domino confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon Lactaid milk (you can use any kind of milk, or OJ or even water), plus more by the 1/4 teaspoonful as needed

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line loaf with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
Make the Namaste Foods spice cake mix using eggs, water and oil as per the box directions. 

In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar, mix well and set aside. 

Pour a generous half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread into an even layer with a spatula. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top. Pour the remaining batter on top followed by the remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture. 

Using a knife at an angle perpendicular to the bottom of the loaf pan, carefully swirl the batter in all directions - I made several zig-zags. The top of the batter will look uneven; it’ll sort itself out whilst baking, don't you fret.

Place the loaf pan in the center of the preheated oven and bake for 45 – 50 minutes at 350°F or until an inserted knife comes out clean. I turn my loaf pan at the half way baking mark to ensure an even bake.

Remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool in the pan on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, using the parchment paper, remove the loaf gently from the loaf pan and place on the wire rack, undisturbed, to cool completely.

While the cake loaf is cooling, assemble the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar and milk. Mix well, until a thick paste forms. Add more milk by the quarter teaspoonful, mixing to combine well, until the glaze falls off the spoon in a thick, pourable glaze. 

Drizzled iced spiced cake

At about 30 minutes, the loaf will still be warm and it’s time drizzle the glaze over the loaf in a back and forth motion creating the beautiful striations you see above.

Slice in generous, thick slices and share!

Comments

Unknown said…
This looks amazing. Thank you for sharing!!

Happy New Year!

Popular Posts